Urwin, George - 1972
George Urwin was born in 1886 in Middlesex, England, and came to Western Canada in 1906. He first worked on a farm in the Boissevain district in Manitoba, then took up a homestead at Beechy, Saskatchewan, in 1910. He became first president of the Beechy Co-operative Association, beginning at that time a record of dedicated service to the co-operative movement which was to last well over half a century.
He was a leader in many producer and consumer co-operative organizations, within and far beyond his own home community. He was one of the first in the area to sign a Saskatchewan Wheat Pool growerís contract in 1924, and spent a number of years as a Pool delegate. He played a prominent part in community affairs and filled several offices, including that of Justice of the Peace, reeve of his municipality, and secretary of his local school district. He also served as chairman of the Boards of University Hospital, Pion Era and the Western Development Museum.
In 1943 he was chosen president of the Saskatchewan Co-operative Wholesale Society Limited, and remained as president of its successors, Saskatchewan Federated Co-operatives Limited, and the expanded Federated Co-operatives Limited until his retirement in 1959. He continued to act as president of Interprovincial Co-operatives Limited, a Canada-wide association of co-operative wholesaling organizations. In 1957 he represented Canadian Co-operatives as a member of a Canadian trade delegation to Britain.
In 1962, an Honorary Doctor of Laws degree was conferred on George Urwin by the University of Saskatchewan, in recognition of his outstanding contributions to the growth and development of the co-operative movement, and service to the people through various public offices.
"Nominated for the Saskatchewan Agricultural Hall of Fame
by Federated Co-operatives Limited and The Western Development Museum, 1972."