Oddie, Emmie - 1983
Olafson, Olaf - 1973
Oleksyn, Timothy John ( Tim ) - 2017
Oxner, Bertha - 1987
Olaf Olafson was born in Iceland in 1867, coming to Western Canada in 1887. After 11 years of railroading with the C.P.R., he took up a homestead at Old Wives, a farm and ranch community near Johnston Lake, in the rolling hill country southwest of Moose Jaw.
Olaf Olafson was what a close friend once described as "a natural-born cattleman." The stock for his ranching enterprise was carefully chosen, and his animals were consistent winners of high awards in the cattle shows of his time. He was a prime mover in the formation of the Saskatchewan Stock Growers Association, and became president in 1915. For most of his long period of active association with S.S.G.A., Olaf Olafson held the positions of president, vice-president and honorary president.
He also spearheaded a move to establish much needed stock-handling facilities at Moose Jaw. With the help of a group of cattlemen from the area, he saw his dream come true when the Southern Saskatchewan Co-operative Stockyards opened in 1918. It was soon to become the largest operation of its kind in the province. Olaf Olafson made the first delivery of cattle to the yards and served as vice-president of the institution until 1934. In that year he was elected president, and held that position until his death in 1957.
Olaf Olafson became a member of the directorate of the Saskatchewan Feeder Show in 1923, and executive director from 1942 to 1951. He was elected to the honorary presidency in 1957 for his contribution of 34 years of meritorious service to the Saskatchewan Feeder Show.
"Nominated for the Saskatchewan Agricultural Hall of Fame by the
Rural Municipality of Hillsborough, 132,
the Moose JawAgricultural Society and the
Saskatchewan StockGrowers Association, 1973."